Losing freedom after Marriage: Is this a reality?
26 Jul 2016
Freedom is the most sought after, biggest need anyone has after food water and air. It is needed to be loved, to excel, to fail, to take decisions, to defeat and be defeated, most of all to be yourself!
But we see that many women in India are deprived of the most basic needs. In many families, the women never get the freedom to express themselves, to be what they are to be. They believe that freedom to women will come only after marriage when she "SETS UP' her own house.
What happens post marriage to women in majority of cases is not a liberating experience but more loss of freedom than she had before:
1. She loses the freedom to be herself, to eat food of her choice, to get up in the morning at a time she wants to and what she can wear
2. She loses the freedom to many times raise a point without offending everyone in her new home. Touch your heart and say, if its your mom and dad, don't you vehemently disagree with them on points you have difference of opinion. But such liberty in the new home is ripped off. To even say No is seen as a dissent & a decandent behavior.
3. It is still believed that women need "Permission" of their spouse and family to consider working outside. Such stripping away of human rights is highly justifiable and almost the gold standard in Modern Indian Families
4. She loses the freedom to support her own family, the same family she grew up in, the same family she was a part for more than half her life, the same parents who woke up all night taking care of her. How human is this stripping off of basic freedom?
5. She loses the freedom to laugh out loud, to have fun. It is in many families believed that a wife has to have a certain decor and demeanour.
All these core five freedom losses only lead a woman into further hopelessness and depression.
No matter how much money you have, nothing in this world replaces Freedom to be.
That is the crux of the problem and it needs to be stopped. Women need to get assertive of their own rights and needs. They need to step up not just in in-laws home but in their parents' home too.
"Stepping up for self rights is not defiance, is not being a rebel, it simply means being RIGHT" - Shipra Dawar
If you are a woman who has suffered in life because of issues at home and feel depressed and hopeless, we can help you get past this vicious circle of negativity and hopelessness!
Just Click the Pink Chat button and Type "WD" to instantly connect with a psychologist or to know more about process & charges
Many of our premium articles are never published on Facebook. So to benefit from them and to read them, Subscribe Now using the green button on top
See More from ePsyClinic
Take a Free Depression
Tags: #MARRIAGE #LOVE #FREEDOM #HAPPINESS