Constant worrying of women is a sign of Anxiety: Anxiety issues in Women
29 Nov 2015
“Mrs. Raman is a 31 year old well educated, well-to-do banker. She lives with her two daughters and husband. She has always been labeled as a ‘worrier’.
She would worry about her family, her parents, work, friends, herself, and sometimes, she couldn’t even find the source of her worry which would make her worry and be restless even more. If she had a simple ache or pain, she would start worrying that she might die. At times, even she accepted that her worries are irrational but she could not help them. Every time, she would get all tensed up, start sweating, trembling, feel nauseous, breathless, and light-headed and sometimes get stomach cramps or a headache. She often complained of fatigue and having sleepless nights or wake up with her muscles all tensed. Eventually these symptoms got worse with time and it started to affect her relationship with her colleagues, daughters and her husband. She knew she had to get help. She was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder after she saw a psychologist. She was given a combination of psychotherapies and counseling. With regular intervention, she is getting better. Her daughters now think that she is kind of ‘fun’ and her husband enjoys spending quality time with her now. Her colleagues invite her to their parties and other events and Mrs. Raman is happy that she is making progress and definitely worrying less.”
Do you feel the following symptoms too?
Excessive, ongoing worry and tension
An unrealistic view of problems
Restlessness or a feeling of being "edgy"
The need to go to the bathroom frequently
Trouble falling or staying asleep
Being easily startled
If you’re feeling most of the above symptoms over a considerably long time and you or you’re the people around you feel these are causing a negative impact personal and professional lives then you really need to think about it.
Take a free anxiety assessment here
Reasons that lead to anxiety issues:
1. Family: Taking care of one’s family can be very distressing and exhausting. Even in the modern times, taking care of the family is considered the woman’s responsibility. The responsibility of taking care of the children, husband, in laws, and sometimes one’s own parents becomes a core source of stress
2. Spouse issues: Marital discord or mismatch is another very common issue that becomes a major cause in disruption of mental wellbeing. These may include difference in thinking, misunderstandings among each other, poor communication and spending less quality time.
3. Life situations: Sometimes, certain unexpected situations come up like relocation to a new city, struck by a natural calamity, death of a loved one or even social maladjustment which can also lead to anxiety issues.
4. Financial causes: Debt, Loss of job, Sudden loss in a business, irregular income are all anxiety provoking.
5. Biological and genetic roots: If your family history shows traces of anxiety disorders or depression, you more likely to develop it. So, look out for such symptoms and act immediately.
Generalized anxiety disorder is a much simpler condition than it sounds. However, if unattended it may lead to much complicated and severe conditions. What looks like worrying over small things may lead to more severe psychological conditions like severe anxiety that disables a person's mind to think straight or get past fear, depression and even suicide.
So, if you find yourself fretting too much, even over the simplest things, maybe you should act as soon as possible. Early help and invention might save you a lot of your and other’s time and energy and more importantly a lot of worrying.
Management of anxiety:
1. Relaxation techniques:
Deep breathing, muscle relaxation, backwards counting and distraction techniques are some de- stressing techniques for immediate/ short term stress relief.
2. Healthy lifestyle changes: For long term stress relief, significant healthy lifestyle changes need to be made such as eating nutritious food avoiding junk food, taking adequate rest and sleep, exercising well and avoiding unhealthy coping by alcohol and smoking.
3. Spend time to focus on the positive things in your life: Make a list of the things that you enjoy doing or feel they are still a reason for you to be. Think of more things that still makes you happy. It can be a hobby or even an object.
4. Social support: Research shows that people who engage themselves in active social life are less prone to depression and live longer! Make sure you have a sociable circle be it the ladies’ club of the society you live in. You can volunteer for NGOs and meet people and will give you a sense of self-worth also.
5. Seek professional help:
a. Medication: Drugs used to reduce the symptoms of anxiety disorders include anti-depressants and anxiety-reducing drugs.
b. Therapy and counselling: Trained mental health professionals help people by talking through strategies for understanding and dealing with their disorder. Cognitive-behavioral therapy is one type of psychotherapy which is often used to treat anxiety in which the person learns to recognize and change thought patterns and behaviors that lead to troublesome feelings.
Our psychologists are here 24*7 to help you. You are just one click away from a stress free healthy life!!
If as a woman you are struggling and this has been causing you tremendous unease,worry and physical symptoms, you can get complete help Online from ePsyClinic’s Anxiety & wellness Psychologists and Experts.
Just Click the Pink Button on the left and “Type Hi” to get started for instant consultation
Take a free anxiety assessment here
About ePsyClinic: We are an Indian health company that is now Asia's largest Online Clinic for Mental, emotional, professional and pregnancy wellness. We have India's top psychiatrists, gynecologists on our panel along with most professionally trained psychologists. Our experts’ receive special training for an effective online management and treatment of various mental health, emotional health, pregnancy health and addiction issues.
Tags: #women #worrying